Pastor Derek Walker put down his roots in Oxford after coming here to study Mathematics at St Catherine's College, Oxford University. In his first term he heard the Gospel and became a Christian and his life was turned around. Soon after he began to be aware of a strong call to study God's Word and to stay in Oxford. After University he taught Maths in St Edward's School and then became Head of Maths at Cherwell Tutors.
Meanwhile, Hilary, who had grown up in Oxford, had received the Lord Jesus after experiencing a dramatic healing from rheumatoid arthritis. Derek and Hilary met in church and became close friends. They married in 1987 and soon after went to Bible School for 3 years in the USA. They returned in 1991 with a clear vision to pioneer Oxford Bible Church, which they started in their lounge the first Sunday after arriving back in the UK.
As well as preaching, Hilary oversees the Children's Ministry of the church. She has a passion for prayer and to see God move in revival in this nation. Derek has a passion to study and teach God's Word in detail and has written a dozen books, including Getting Healed published by Destiny Image Europe. He has a special interest in Bible Prophecy and Chronology and has led a number of tour groups to Israel, helping to bring the Bible to life for many people. Derek is constantly amazed at the power and perfection of Scripture and desires to share his knowledge and love of God's Word, because he knows that is the key to knowing God and enjoying His abundant life.
1. The one true God who lives eternally in three persons the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
2. The love, grace and sovereignty of God in creating, sustaining, ruling, redeeming and judging the world.
3. The divine inspiration and supreme authority of the Old and New Testament Scriptures, which are the written Word of God fully trustworthy for faith and conduct.
4. The dignity of all people, made male and female in God’s image to love, be holy and care for creation, yet corrupted by sin, which incurs divine wrath and judgement.
5. The incarnation of God’s eternal Son, the Lord Jesus Christ born of the virgin Mary, truly divine and truly human, yet without sin.
6. The atoning sacrifice of Christ on the cross: dying in our place, paying the price of sin and defeating evil, so reconciling us with God.
7. The bodily resurrection of Christ, the firstfruit of our resurrection; his ascension to the Father, and his reign and mediation as the only Saviour of the world.
8. The justification of sinners solely by the grace of God through faith in Christ.
9. The ministry of God the Holy Spirit, who leads us to repentance, unites us with Christ through new birth, empowers our discipleship and enables our witness.
10. The Church, the body of Christ both local and universal, the priesthood of all believers given life by the Spirit and endowed with the Spirit’s gifts to worship God and proclaim the gospel, promoting justice and love.
11. The personal and visible return of Jesus Christ to fulfil the purposes of God, who will raise all people to judgement, bring eternal life to the redeemed and eternal condemnation to the lost, and establish a new heaven and new earth.
For a more detailed Statement of Faith please click here.
Policy Concerning Child Protection and Divine Healing
OBC is a thriving international fellowship of people from all walks of life, gathered together from around the UK and across the nations of Europe, Africa, Asia, India and the USA. The congregation truly is one, big family and a home away from home for international students studying in Oxford. Sunday Services are characterised by lively worship and in-depth Bible teaching, with dynamic children’s and youth ministries. OBC is also involved in various outreaches to the local community, as well as sending missionaries overseas. We are also one of the Love Oxford Churches.
Pastors Derek and Hilary Walker pioneered Oxford Bible Church in 1991, beginning with just a handful of people that met in their lounge. Since then the church has grown to over 250 people who meet in Cheney School Hall in Headington, Oxford.
Our desire is to have a positive impact in the city of Oxford and wherever else possible in the world. We believe that everyone is somebody special and that all people everywhere have a God-given destiny, one that is discovered and realised through a relationship with Jesus Christ.
We believe that we are living in the Last Days and our vision is to spread the teaching of God's Word throughout the United Kingdom and the world. We are doing this through our weekly programmes on Revelation TV and Lighthouse TV in Uganda. We also have our own internet Roku TV channel and provide audio messages through free podcasts.