God’s Names reveal His nature and character. We know Him through His Names.
The two primary names in Hebrew are: (1) ELOHIM (The Powerful Creator), translated GOD and (2) YHWH = JEHOVAH or YAHWEH (Jewish pronounciation), translated LORD. Yhwh is His personal covenant name, that he uses with His friends, those who know him, who are in covenant with Him. This is similar to the difference between Mr.Walker and Derek. El (Elohim) is the name by which all people knew of Him. But Yah (Yahweh) is His Covenant Name, by which He revealed Himself more intimately to His Covenant people who know Him.
At the burning bush He revealed Himself to Moses as YHWH, which means the
I AM, saying: “I AM that I AM, I will be who I will be.” His name is ‘Always’.
He is the eternal unchanging one, who is faithful to keep His covenant Word.
In Covenants, the parties give themselves to each other fully, and so the Lord gives Himself to us. Thus the 8 Jehovah compound Names are covenant names which cover the 8 areas of our Covenant, revealing who He is to us in the Covenant. He says: ‘I AM (Jehovah) your HEALER, VICTORY, RIGHTEOUSNESS’ etc.
He is not just RIGHTEOUS, He is our RIGHTEOUSNESS! He makes us righteous, victoriou and healed, with His righteousness, health and victory! That is His covenant commitment to be all in all to us, covering everything we need. If you come to know Him through His names, you will know the fullness of the Covenant, for we are PARTAKERS OF THE DIVINE NATURE!
God revealed His Names progressively in the Old Testament. He proclaimed each Name in turn in a situation that revealed the meaning of that Name. The Names were all prophetic, for they would only be brought into full manifestation through the Coming Messiah and His Atonement. Thus the situations formed Types of the fulfilment in Christ and His Atonement. When Jesus came, John recorded His claims to be the fulfilment of all these Names. JESUS = JAH-SHUA - the Lord my Salvation. Salvation is a big word that includes the manifestation of all the names.
Jesus made 8 ‘I AM’ claims correspoding to the 8 JEHOVAH names. For example: ‘I AM the GOOD SHEPHERD’ = JEHOVAH ROHI. He was saying: ‘I am Jehovah Rohi! All that God promised to give you is fulfilled in Me through the Covenant established in My blood. I am the Lord and the Covenant Names are fulfilled in Me through My Blood. If you believe in Me, I will be that to you.’ He also confirmed each I AM claim with a SIGN. He is all things to us through the Blood of His Covenant. We must know His Name. We receive help from Him through knowing, praising and calling on His Name.
Let us look at each Name in turn, in order to come to know Him and receive His full covenant provision in each area of our lives. He provides (gives) Himself to us:
1. The first Name that was revealed was JEHOVAH-JIREH (‘the Lord is our Provider or Provision’) in Genesis 22 when Abraham offered up His son Isaac. “Abraham called the name of that place JEHOVAH-JIREH (The Lord is our Provider or Provision) as it is said to this day, ‘The MOUNT where the LORD will be SEEN (or ‘the Mount of Manifestation’). As the first name it is foundational to the others. Jehovah Jireh signifies the God of MATERIAL MANIFESTATION, physical Provision! Supremely God was revealing that He will manifest His Son in the flesh to come and be offered up for us on Mount Moriah and on the basis of this every other blessing (name) of God is ours.“God so LOVED the world, that He GAVE His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16). “He who did not withhold His only Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall he not with (and through) Him also freely GIVE us all things?” (Romans 9:32).
Jesus claimed in John 6: “I AM the Bread of Life” (v32,33,35,41). He would be offered up to God and be broken and multiplied as God’s provision to feed the world.
See also 3John 2, 2Corinthians 8:9,9:8, Philippians 4:19, Matthew 6:33, Psalm23:1.
2. Then He revealed Himself as JEHOVAH ROPHE = ‘I AM the LORD your HEALER’ (Exodus 15:26) in the incident of the bitter waters (a picture of humanity under the curse). God revealed how He would provide Healing to us: “The LORD showed Moses a TREE, which when he cast into the waters, the waters were made sweet.” On the Tree of Calvary He exchanged our sicknesses for His Health.
Jesus claimed to be the one who would reverse the curse and heal all sickness when He said: “I AM the RESURRECTION and the LIFE” (John11:25,26, 1Peter2:24), and proved it by raising Lazarus from the dead after 4 days, reversing his sickness.
3. The next revelation was JEHOVAH NISSI (‘the Lord is My Victory’)
in Exodus 17:15, which was the name of the sacrificial altar built after a battle with Amalek where victory came through Moses holding up the rod of God (the Name). God promises to be our victory over all our enemies in our fight of faith as we use the sword of the Spirit, trusting in His blood and holding up (declaring and calling upon) his Name as our banner of victory (Rev12:11, Jehoshaphat).
Jesus proved Himself to be our Victory when He rose triumphant from the dead saying:
"I AM the First and the Last. I AM the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades” (Rev1:17,18).
4. The book of Leviticus contains the revelation of JEHOVAH MCKEDDESH
“The Lord our Sanctifier, who makes us holy” (20:8, 21:8,15,23, 22:15,32). He separates us from sin and unto God, transforming us into the image of Christ from glory to glory.
Jesus: “I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life” (John 14;6) turning the water into wine (1Thess 5:23)
5. JEHOVAH SHALOM -our PEACE (restored FELLOWSHIP with God bringing WHOLENESS (Judges 6:24- Gideon). Jesus: “I AM the true Vine” (John 15:1, Eph 2:14).
6. JEHOVAH ROHI -the Lord is my Shepherd (Psalm 23:1). Jesus - John 10:11.
7. JEHOVAH TSIDKENU -the Lord our Righteousness (Jer 23:5,6; 33:15,16).
Jesus: “I AM the DOOR (into the Kingdom)” (John 10:7,9). See 2Cor 5:21,1Cor 1:30.
8. JEHOVAH SHAMMAH = THE LORD is THERE - His overflowing Presence within and upon us, His Temple (Ezekiel 48:35). Jesus: “I AM the LIGHT” (John 8:12).